Monday, June 6, 2011

Today (Distractions and Decrees)

I've been enjoying Lie to Me, on Netflix (and other media, as needed) - clever show, and not an utter failure as far as the psychology is concerned.
Same goes for Numbers, the latest in my series of distractions.




Don't get me wrong, most of the things these shows address are either way more complicated or way less relevant than they are made out to be...I just enjoy having enough background knowledge to appreciate said concepts. Also, once in awhile they just hit the nail on the head.

It's really a matter of picking out distractions. I don't really watch tv for anything more than another story. It's been a substitute for books, lately, largely as a matter of convenience and cost. I'd love nothing more than to go on a binge and buy 20-30 books, right now. But I'm broke, so that's not happening. In the meantime, why hello Netflix.

You'd think these distractions might mean I'm trying to escape from something, but the truth is, it's just something to occupy my mind. Stories allow me to slow down, not have to be thinking at my usual mile-a-minute pace. It's nice, and I'm sure some of you appreciate just how nice.

On the other hand, I think it's about time for me to wake up. That's been on my mind, lately.
So here it goes.

Today, I will listen to Paramore and Halestorm without being pulled down by your memories. There is more to my life than the past, and I am finished wishing for things that will never happen.
Today, I will not run screaming from the things I see in my own mind. I am who I am, what I am, for a reason.
Today, I accept and embrace my darkness just as much as my light, and find the balance between the two.
Today, I'm free of pain and shame, and most importantly - I am free of you. Finally. Goodbye.

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment