Saturday, May 19, 2012

Musical Moments #8

Another artist spotlight: The Dreaming.

Frankly, I am not entirely sober. Keep that in mind.
That said, I have -always- been a fan of Stabbing Westward.
You may have heard them in the trailer/soundtrack for The Covenant, although they've been around for much longer than that.



For all I knew, they had dissolved into the nothingness that absorbed many of the innovative bands of the 90s/early 2000s. That is, until my friend Sydney photographed a concert involving one of their members (I may highlight some of her work at a later date - she is rather fantastic.)
This new band was called The Dreaming, and I knew nothing of them.

So naturally, I got my hands on an album. Namely "The Puppet."

Let me say first that it is definitely an evolved sound. Stabbing Westward was great, but always felt as if it was missing some harmonies, some melodies, some bits and pieces.

The Dreaming knows no such deficit. It is rock at its finest, crossed with just that dab of techno that marked Stabbing Westward for so long in songs like Save Yourself and Torn Apart.

They're definitely heavier, so far as I can tell. Much more in the world of power chords and heavy rhythms. More upbeat, if you are curious about the most significant difference.

The lyrics, as per Stabbing Westward days, do not disappoint at all. A bit on the depressing side if you listen too closely, but it is masked well beneath the overall sound - a sound that leaves you with a tapping foot and subtly banging head.

They have a better sense of contrast, since I keep comparing the two groups - that is to say, there are more quiet moments that lead into climaxes than I'd have expected from the prior group. The singing has certainly evolved quite a bit, and is on what I would call the next level of musicality.

Songs I'd recommend, from this particular album?

Breathing
End in Tears
Stitches
Hole
Every Trace (Yes, it sounds vaguely like a more popular Muse song - get over it.)

I'll end with a video, since that seems to be a theme with my artist spotlights.
But seriously, if you liked Stabbing Westward, or enjoy the odd grunge rock with dabs of techno...check these guys out in a more serious way.




- C

No comments:

Post a Comment