Monday, November 19, 2012

Musical Moments #9

After a significant delay, I figure it's time to post about the Seether concert.

First, I'm going to take a moment to thank (heavy with sarcasm) the Diamond Ballroom for forgetting that the venue is in fucking Oklahoma for the evening.
That's right, they made everyone park in a large grass lot behind the venue. It was a damp drizzle all day long, and for some mysterious reason the powers-that-be forget that WET and DIRT create MUD. Leaving that parking lot was a massive disaster and I was not pleased. For future reference try and remember basic facts of the weather, because that was fucking pathetic - especially for a sold-out show.




As for the show itself...

I was pleasantly surprised by Young Guns. If you enjoy indie rock, I'd very much recommend taking a listen to Bones, Broadfields, and most of the rest of the songs on their album titled Bones.
They had an obviously newly developed stage presence (read: you could tell they are a fairly new band) but it was a good presence and with a lot of practice they can be a pretty great band to see on tour.

The second group, well...I don't even remember their name. They were heavier, bordering on a metal sound. Frankly, someone should tell their lead singer that their backup singer is better at staying in key.
In the interest of fair criticism, they did harmonize rather well. Other than that, I could've done without the off-tune yelling. If you feel I'm being brutal, well...tough shit.
Oh...they were called Kyng.

Sick Puppies stole the show, as far as I'm concerned. They have a fantastic stage presence and a pretty damn great selection of songs to choose from - if you're looking for highlights, I'd say check out Maybe, All the Same, White Balloons, Should've Known Better...and most of the rest of their music, while you're at it.
I was a little disappointed they didn't play White Balloons, although I can understand why. The energy of the crowd wasn't right for it.
I'll also say that jumping up and down with a sold out house is a pretty great experience. Good job on that.

Seether was great, but in a more subdued fashion that I've grown accustomed to with them. They know the music is good, so they put on a good show...but they don't have a lot of that epic rock energy you'd expect from such a veteran touring band. They could, and I'm sure at some shows they do, but this was not one of them. This show was "here's our music, rock out to it and have fun." Gentle, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. They played a great variety of older and newer stuff - all the way from Gasoline to Here and Now.

I'm sure I could do a more thorough review...or I could have, if I had written this closer to the concert date. That said, take what you can get.

Always remember: support live music anywhere and everywhere.

- C

2 comments:

  1. It was a great show! But they needed to get whatever was going on with the sound system during Seether's set under control...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. The live recording thing sounds fine, but you couldn't hear vocals for shit during the show. Seems to be a fairly standard issue for the Diamond Ballroom.

    ReplyDelete