Friday, December 14, 2012

Musical Moments #10

Alright, it's my customary week-late concert review.
This time, we're talking about 100.5 the Katt's annual "Wreck the Halls" show for 2012.

The lineup: Aranda, Ten Years, Chevelle.
The venue: The Diamond Ballroom, OKC.

I'm going to start off by frankly saying any of these bands could headline their own show and I'd be happy. That makes for a potentially pretty awesome show.

...and it was.

The venue sold out, which will make this the second show in a row I've seen there that sold out. Good work on that. Again, they had us park in the back, which annoys me...but it wasn't as bad without the rain and mud from the last Ballroom fiasco. They at least had the courtesy to throw down enough gravel to make the back lot drive-able. 

Aranda opened - and good for them. I'm rather pleased that this local act is getting recognized for the talented group they are. They set a nice energy level for the whole show and played a very full set. I prefer 3-band lineups for precisely that reason...gives everyone more of a chance to produce a well-rounded set.
 I confess to being a little disappointed that they didn't play "The Rest of My Life," but I'll live. "Whyyawannabringmedown" stole the show, as far as solos are concerned. It's hard to compete with Das Boot. (If you see them, you'll understand.)


Ten Years followed. I forgot how much of their music I enjoy...I suspect they suffer from being rather underrated in general. Seeing them live, I forget why that might be.
They've got a great presence, and a really good grip on that "dirty" rock sound - a sound I enjoy rather thoroughly. "Wasteland" was, in a word, bad-ass...especially in a full house.


Chevelle.
First thing's first: Dat Bass. I'm sure it was a combination of the bassist and the sound tech, but the bass was satisfyingly ridiculous from start to finish of their set. Good solid vibration all the way through the air - and the body of the listener. I suppose I'm going to have to invest in good quality ear plugs before I start going deaf in a less temporary sense.
Chevelle played one hell of a set, and the energy level never really dropped. It was hot - literally - but no one seemed to care. I can't really pick out any highlight songs, because that would imply that some were less well-placed in the set than others.
I'll say this much, though - having fancy rugs on the stage (yes, I know, rugs are practical too) looked very classy. A double-encore was also very classy.


All in all this is one of the best concerts I've been to see this year. Maybe the best, who knows.

Year isn't over yet, after all. ;)

- C

(P.S. - My concert-going compatriot's massive level of excitement for this show totally made the concert even better. Just saying.)
(P.P.S. - The pictures are a bonus. I am not a photographer, and make no apologies for the quality. These things get taken with my phone camera, that's all. If you want real concert pictures, find a concert photographer like Sydney Frames.)

No comments:

Post a Comment