Friday, December 14, 2012

Musical Moments #11

The lineup: the Trans-Siberian Orchestra
The venue: Chesapeake Energy Arena, OKC.

I've been a pretty avid fan of the TSO for a long time now.
I'll freely admit to being pleased that they decided to roll out a "new" show this year. I highlight new because the album it is based on has been around awhile...they've just not played the story based on said album.

For those of you who haven't or won't be seeing them this year, that album is "The Lost Christmas Eve."
I'll warn you right now, it is -much- darker than their previous story, and certainly not for everyone.

That said, I like it more. I prefer the music from it and the story has always gotten to me more than "Christmas Eve and Other Stories." Which is not to say I don't enjoy the hell out of CEaOS...so I understand if this show isn't your cup of tea.

Highlights? Well, if you haven't seen the Trans-Siberian Orchestra, you should know this:
It's worth the money just for the story/drama.
It's worth the money just for the light show/pyrotechnics.
It's worth the money just for the music.

Getting all three is a lot like a Christmas present. ;)

Along those lines, the first half of the show is a Christmas story sort of thing. Some may argue about the religious subtexts of it - frankly I don't give a shit. The story is good and the storytelling is spectacular. If you buy tickets to a Christmas concert and get pissy about religious subtexts, the issue is not with the show - and that's all I'll say about that.

The second half is a good old rock concert with all the fixins. Ridiculous riffs, stupendous solos, and lots and lots of laser lights.

I'm comfortable with this sort of concert as a tradition, a show to be relied upon to appear around the same time of year, every year - regardless of whether the band members change/move on/etc.

As for my favorite songs, you ask?
Christmas Nights in Blue
The Lost Christmas Eve
What is Christmas
etc
etc

I would really be able to give a more thorough review of this group if I had the chance to see one of their spring shows...less of a quota of Christmasyness to be met.
With that in mind, much as I loathe commercialized holidays, I confess to being put in a Christmas sort of mood by their shows. You might find yourself saying the same.

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment